Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Great Debate

Throughout life, we all make choices effecting our visions and attitude. I’m faced with one particular decision I have been scratching my head over for the last 30 months. Who will my new driver be in NASCAR since Rusty Wallace retired?

For the back story, I started watching NASCAR in 1989 and ever since my first race viewed on television I have been a Rusty fan. From the days in the 27 car to the black MGD car and finally to the Blue Deuce. Every Sunday I parked myself in front of the TV holding my breath as Rusty and 42 other drivers went 190 mph inches apart. No other sport can match the intensity one feels from the start to the checkered flag. Unlike other sports NASCAR does not have TV timeouts. Yes they have commercials but the race is still going on making ever commercial even more nerve racking. I’ve watched just about ever race from the mid 90s and on. If I could not watch live I would tape the races and starting in 1999 I taped the races even when I could watch them live. I got a lot of historical moments on video from NASCAR.

In late 2004, Rusty announced he would retire after the 2005 season. I knew he would leave one day but I was always in denial about it. 2005 was one of the best seasons I have ever watched. Rusty had a great year and made the chase. I went to both Dover races and saw Rusty finish 5th and 3rd. But the end finally came and I was stuck driverless.

Throughout the entire 2006 season I watched from a far but not with the same passion I once had. Unlike other sports where you pull for the team even when players come and go, NASCAR is all about the driver. I did not have one picked out last season and I still do not have a driver. Coming into the 207 season I knew I needed one so the great debate began for a new driver.
Dale Earnhardt Jr: I love Dale Jr, ever since I first saw him flip at Daytona in 98 during the Busch race. I watched his last lap pass at Texas for his first Busch win later in the year and have been a huge fan since. One would think it’s a slam dunk Dale Jr is the pick but it’s not as easy as it seems. Dale Jr has already made a name for himself. He is a star and going to Big Red would make me feel like a bandwagon jumper. I do own 17 Dale Jr diecast cars and he is a huge Redskins fan but I feel uncomfortable jumping on his train.

Tony Stewart: This cat can drive anything anywhere at anytime. Best driver other than Dale Sr. He even drives for Joe Gibbs who is the coach of my beloved Redskins. Once again, Stewart is already a legend. Two Cup Championships and many more Cup wins.

Clint Bowyer: A rookie in 2006 driver of the Jack Daniels Chevy. I like the way he drove. Calm smooth and when it got down to it, he got up on the wheel and drove hard. He showed he could drive on short tracks, aero tracks and the plate tracks. All around great driver and being young and not being a star yet, puts him as a guy I want to root for. Also JD is my favorite liquor and I got the jacket.

Paul Menard: A rookie in 2007. Drives for DEI so he has the Dale Jr connection. I like his number which is 15. I like his aggressive yet smooth driving style and last year in the march Atlanta race I was very excited watching him race to a 7th place finish. One thing I have noticed is during the weekend I have been quite nervous about him missing the Daytona 500. He is not locked into the field and I have not felt nervous in this way since Rusty last made a pit stop under green.

Those are the four and picking from one of them has been extremely difficult. I need a driver of my own but how can I ever replace Rusty. What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pick carl.

don't worry about the 99 thing. you'll get over it. lol

Anonymous said...

Well said.